In order to measure a trampoline, you need to make sure you have a tape measure, a pencil and notepad and a stepladder. Reasons, why you may need to measure a trampoline, is for replacement parts or to see if the trampoline will fit in your garden comfortably.
Hopefully, you will find this guide useful, if I’ve missed anything or you have any questions on measuring your own trampoline then please leave a comment below and I’ll get back to you.
Why would you want to measure a trampoline?
It may seem like a strange question and it is! But there may be a good reason for measuring a trampoline. You may be looking to spec out an area of your garden for a new trampoline or you could be searching for how to measure a trampoline for a trampoline enclosure or for a new set of trampoline springs.
Replacement parts for trampolines come in all different sizes from a variety of different manufacturers. so let’s get started.
Firstly what you need to measure a trampoline accurately;
- A measuring tape
- A step ladder
- Notepaper or phone
A measuring tape is, of course, necessary to measure the trampoline, a step ladder will help you reach the height of the trampoline if you are looking to measure that part of the trampoline and notepaper or phone to write down the measurements. There’s no point in measuring a trampoline if you don’t keep note. You might forget them!
Here’s my step by step guide to measuring a trampoline and how the size of a trampoline is measured.
How To Measure The Diameter Of A Trampoline
When measuring a trampoline you need to include the frame in the measurement, It’s not just the jumping area that you will be considering but the whole structure itself, including the frame, springs, mat and enclosure attached.
- In order to find the diameter of your trampoline, you start from the edge of the trampoline.
- Next, measure straight across to the edge of the trampoline right up to the other side of the frame. (Redline in the picture)
- Measure the frame again, but this time from 90 degrees from where you first measured the trampoline. (Green line in the picture)
- Measure straight across again to the edge of the trampoline right up to the metal frame structure.
- Take these two measurements and the average of those two will provide the answer to what size is my trampoline.
- Taking two measurements allows a more accurate reading as the trampoline could be situated on the ground where it’s not entirely level.
How To Measure The Height Of A Trampoline
So if you want to measure your trampoline height then it’s easily done. Here’s how to measure this.
- Take a tape measure and place it at the bottom of the steel trampoline legs on the ground.
- Measure up to the top of the enclosure pole. (Red Line in the picture)
- Move to the other side of the trampoline and measure from the bottom of the steel legs on the ground.
- Measure this side to the top of the enclosure pole. (Green Line in the picture)
- Take the average height of the two opposite enclosure poles.
- Taking two measurements gives a more accurate reading as the trampoline could have been placed on an uneven surface or slight slope.
How To Measure The Jumping Mat and Padding Of A Trampoline
If you want to measure a trampoline’s padding width (Not thickness) and the jumping mat diameter of a trampoline then see the image above.
Looking to measure a trampoline for a replacement jumping mat then follow these instructions
To measure the trampoline padding;
- Measure the trampoline padding from the outside of the trampoline across to the start of the jumping mat. (Green line in the picture)
To measure the trampoline jumping mat
- Measure from the bounce area, the edge of the trampoline padding across the diameter to the end of the trampoline mat. (Redline in the picture)
- You can repeat this 90 degrees for a more accurate reading.
How To Measure A Trampoline Enclosure
If you’re looking up trampoline measurements and diameters and the stats listed include something called trampoline height, then this is what they are talking about.
Looking to measure a trampoline for a replacement net or enclosure then follow these instructions.
- Take a tape measure and measure from the bottom of the enclosure, this usually sits on top of the trampoline. But be aware not always. (Redline in the picture)
- Measure from the bottom to the top of the enclosure pole.
- Repeat the steps used on the other directly opposite pole on the trampoline.
- Take the average reading of the two measurements to get your trampoline enclosure height.
How to measure a trampoline (Padding Thickness and Frame Height)
Padding thickness is something that’s a featured selling point in most trampolines, this is the padding that protects users from the springs and while it’s important in the trampoline with inner enclosures, it’s extremely important if your trampoline has an outer enclosure as the springs have no enclosure keeping them separate.
To measure the trampoline padding thickness.
- Measure from the top of the padding to the bottom of the padding for the thickness. (Redline in the picture shown)
To measure the trampoline frame height.
- Measure from the bottom of the trampoline steel legs to the top of the trampoline structure where the trampoline joins the trampoline padding. (Green line in the picture)
Other Things You May Need To Measure (Springs For Example)
I’ve gone through the most important aspects of measuring a trampoline for the most accurate results there are other aspects of trampolines that are either listed on the manufacturer’s website that have dimensions listed.
If you’re looking to measure a trampoline for replacement parts then the first step is always going to the manufacturer’s website to see if any replacement parts are sold via their online shop. If not then we’ve got some searching to do. Let me see if I can assist you.
They are things like the size of trampoline springs, the thickness of the galvanised steel frame and the thickness of the enclosure netting. Each of these can be measured using a measuring tape also.